Group: Chemistry of Natural Products (Ullrich Jahn Group, IOCB Prague) and Pathophysiology of Ion Channels (Norbert Weiss Group, Third Faculty of Medicine, Charles University)
The project aims at an interdisciplinary approach to the development of a new class of calcium channel inhibitors with the potential to translate into new pain therapeutics.
The candidate will be working in the laboratory of Dr. Norbert Weiss conducting electrophysiology experiments and will be responsible to evaluate the structure-activity relationship of newly synthesized small organic molecules on recombinant and native ion channels. As part of the project, the candidate will also closely interact with organic chemists and animal pain experimentalists.
- PhD degree in pharmacology, neuroscience, drug discovery or similar
- Experience in the field of ion channel research with an understanding of the patch clamp technique
- Ability to work in a team but independently
- Good proficiency in spoken and written English
- Competitive salary
- Full-time contract
- 5 weeks of vacation plus 3 sick days
- Health insurance and full benefits package incl. contribution to supplementary pension insurance and contribution to sports/culture/leisure time
- Meals subsidy
- Financial support for mothers with young children
- Work in the stunning city of Prague at well-equipped scientific institute with excellent infrastructure
- The position is available as of March 2023
- The position is initially available for 1 year with the possibility of extension for another 1-2 years
- Full-time/Part-time employment
How to apply:
Applications will be reviewed and considered until the position is filled. If we do not get back to you within 3 weeks, we have chosen to proceed with another candidate.
The Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Czech Academy of Sciences / IOCB Prague is a leading internationally recognized scientific institution whose primary mission is the pursuit of basic research in chemical biology and medicinal chemistry, organic and materials chemistry, chemistry of natural substances, biochemistry and molecular biology, physical chemistry, theoretical chemistry, and analytical chemistry. An integral part of the IOCB Prague’s mission is the implementation of the results of basic research in practice. Emphasis on interdisciplinary research gives rise to a wide range of applications in medicine, pharmacy, and other fields.