Mendel University in Brno announces a selection procedure for the position of academic staff member:
Assistant Professor for The Department of Forest Ecology
The staff of the Department of Forest Ecology are involved in teaching curricula focused on knowledge of the structure and functioning of forest ecosystems and understanding the principles of systems analysis in assessing the impacts of a changing environment on forests. Their research focuses on the study of the structure, production, processes and stability of ecosystems, with an emphasis on sustainable management and biodiversity conservation.
Research field: Carbon cycle, eddy-covariance, primary production, autotrophic respiration, carbon sequestration, Climate-smart forestry, sensors for the study of forest ecosystems
What will you be doing with us?
- supervise bachelor, master and doctoral theses
- lecture in the courses taught at the Department of Forest Ecology (topics: carbon cycle, eddy-covariance, primary production, autotrophic respiration, carbon sequestration, climate-smart forestry, sensors for studying forest ecosystems...)
- publish findings in original scientific journals (Scopus, WoS)
- participate in the preparation of scientific projects (NAZV, TAČR, COST...)
- prepare reports on students' final theses as needed
What do we require from you?
- Ph.D. in forest ecology, applied or landscape ecology, environmental design, environmental protection, silviculture
- ability to teach in Czech and English, publish in English
- expertise in the listed topics
- experience with European and global platforms directly related to the listed topics
- driving licence for cars
- at least 5 years of teaching experience
What research experience do we require?
- at least 10 years' experience in science
- H-index of at least 15 (WoS CC)
- experience in project management
What else do we appreciate?
- active participation in scientific councils, disciplinary councils, professional committees, professional societies, international panels, etc.
What can we offer you?
- involvement in a dynamically developing and friendly team
- various workload during the year
- 8 weeks of vacation
- regular training activities, participation in conferences, seminars etc.
- very diverse and interesting academic and scientific research environment
- work-life balance
- advantages of the university environment, such as sports courses of the Center for Sports Activities, Counseling and Professional Center, libraries (these activities are mostly free)
- discounted MultiSport Card
- ITIC card
- university kindergarten, summer suburban camps for employees ‘children
- work in an institution that has received the HR Excellence in Research Award from the European Commission
Expected start: July 2023, fixed-term employment for 3 years
Job status: 0,2 (8 hours/week)
Place of work: Brno
- a professional CV (must contain a WoS-compatible identifier)
- cover letter
- overview of academic teaching
How does the selection procedure work for us? orlz.mendelu.cz/en/selection-procedure