The Cryogenic Electron Microscopy (cryo-EM) research-service group at IOCB Prague studies 3D structure of proteins and their complexes using single particle analysis (SPA). The cryo-EM laboratory thus closely cooperates with the IOCB biological groups in the field of structural biology. The team provides expertise in the field of SPA sample preparation and characterization, and SPA data collection and analysis. At IOCB, we have local access to a basic cryo-EM screening microscope (JEOL JEM2100plus operated by SerialEM) and regular access to high-end cryo-EM instrumentation at the CIETEC cryo-EM core facility via CIISB. Moreover, IOCB is building an in-house cryo-EM facility with instrumentation for ultrahigh-resolution SPA analysis for the purposes of medicinal chemistry. In collaboration with the high-performance computing group, we provide 3D analysis of cryo-EM data at the local computing cluster (~40 GPU nodes). We also provide expertise in building atomic models of analyzed proteins and their complexes. There is also an easy access to various methodologies embedded in other IOCB core facilities.
The successful candidate will be a key and valued member of the cryo-EM research-service group. The post holder will be performing SPA cryo-EM scientific projects from initial design and laboratory experiments to final scientific outputs. The main project will be in the field of viral and bacterial RNA polymerases. Other projects will be in collaboration with members of IOCB scientific groups. The candidate will coordinate and perform the projects in combination with the expertise from other IOCB core facilities.
The candidate will have experience with SPA project workflow, ideally documented by scientific outputs. Additionally, the candidate will help other users of the cryo-EM facility to familiarize themselves with the SPA workflow.
- Design and implementation of SPA cryo-EM scientific projects
- Scientific reporting and communication
- Partial lab management
- Proactively improving the local cryo-EM workflow
- Advanced level in SPA cryo-EM workflow
- Basic experience in structural biology and biochemistry (protein expression and purification)
- Capacity to communicate and interact with other IOCB scientists
- Fluency in English written and oral
- PhD degree in structural biology, biochemistry, biophysics, or related field
- Experience in molecular biology or biophysics
- Experience with SPA data analysis software
- Experience with structural biology software packages (CCP-EM, SBGrid, etc.)
- Experience with electron microscope operating software (SerialEM, EPU, etc.)
- Stable background of an internationally recognized scientific institution
- Working in a progressive multidisciplinary scientific team of medicinal chemists, virologists, immunologists, computational chemists, and biochemists
- Training, with possible opportunities in the form of specialized courses
- Competitive financial remuneration
- 5 weeks of vacation + 4 days of personal leave
- Financial support for parents with children under 4 years of age returning to work after maternity/parental leave
- Employee benefits (health insurance, allowance for meals, own catering facilities in the IOCB building, allowance for supplementary pension insurance / leisure activities, Multisport card, discounted language training)
- Located in the stunning city of Prague, our research facilities feature a state-of-the-art instrumentation portfolio
- Full-time fixed-term employment contract initially for 1 year with anticipated extension
- Start date: November 2023
How to apply:
If you do not hear from us within 3 weeks, we have decided to proceed with another candidate. Thank you for your understanding.
The Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Czech Academy of Sciences / IOCB Prague (www.uochb.cz) is a leading internationally recognized scientific institution whose primary mission is the pursuit of basic research in chemical biology and medicinal chemistry, organic and materials chemistry, chemistry of natural substances, biochemistry and molecular biology, physical chemistry, theoretical chemistry, and analytical chemistry. An integral part of the IOCB Prague’s mission is the implementation of the results of basic research in practice. Emphasis on interdisciplinary research gives rise to a wide range of applications in medicine, pharmacy, and other fields.